Frequently Asked Questions

Quick Links: Enrolment > Studying > Administration > Location > Living in London > Facilities


What is the minimum age?

Minimum age of the students is 18.

What is the average student age?

We have students of all ages studying with us. Typically our students are aged between 19-26.

How can I register at WLA?

You can Enrol Online, or send your details by post, fax or e-mail. We need to know your full name, date of birth, when you want to start your course, what time you would like to study (morning or afternoon) and for how many weeks. If you need to apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa we will also need your passport number, proof of your level of English and funds.

What do I have to do to receive an acceptance letter?

Once we accept you on a course of your choice and receive fees to confirm your booking we will send you a Confirmation Letter or a CAS (if needed).

How can I pay my tuition fee?

You can send payment by CREDIT CARD, BANK TRANSFER or CHEQUE. If you are paying by CREDIT CARD, we recommend that you send your credit card details by fax because it is safer than e-mail. The information we need is:

  • Credit card number
  • Expiry date
  • 3 digit security number on the back of the card
  • Name on card
  • Address where card bills are sent

If you are paying by BANK TRANSFER, please send it to: HSBC Bank, 69 Pall Mall, London SW1Y 5EY. Language First Company Ltd, Sort Code: 40-05-20, Account number: 01540742, SWIFT code: MIDLGB22. If you are paying by CHEQUE, please make it payable to: Language First Ltd

^ back to top


When can I start my course?

All of our General English courses can be joined any Monday so you can start your course at whatever time suits you (subject to availability).

How will I know which class to study in?

When you arrive at the school you will be given a placement test that will determine the best class for you.

What time can I study?

Students can study at the following times: Mornings: 08:45-12:00 (including a 15 minute break) or Afternoons: 12:00-15:15 (including a 15 minute break).

What exams can I take during my studies with WLA?

We offer preparation for the Key English Test (KET), the Preliminary English Test (PET), the Cambridge First Certificate (FCE), the Cambridge Advanced Certificate (CAE) and the IELTS exam.

Are studying materials included in the price?

All students on a course which is longer than four weeks are required to buy the coursebook for the class. Any extra materials used by the teachers during classes (e.g. photocopies) are free.

How much are the coursebooks?

The coursebooks normally cost around £20.

What books do you use?

We use internationally respected coursebooks such as: Cutting Edge, Total English, Straightforward, Ready for FCE, Headway, Fast Track etc.

^ back to top


Where is the school located?

The school is located in South Wimbledon, one of the safest areas of London (zone 3). It takes only 20 minutes to get to central London. Click map.

Does the school have good public transport?

Yes! It is one of the reasons it is one of the most popular areas to live in London. We are well served by buses (57, 93, 131, 152, 200 and 219). London Underground (Tube) Northern Line and District Line tubes are both close by. National Rail Trains go directly into central London (Wimbledon and Haydons Road Stations). London also has a superb discount travel scheme called Oyster Cards with reductions for students on courses over 14 weeks.

^ back to top


Can I open a bank account?

Yes. If you would like to open a bank account please inform the receptionist - we will need your address in your country and in the UK. All the paperwork will be ready to collect within forty-eight hours. We will provide you with a confirmation letter to take to the bank, but obviously the final decision regarding the account will be made by the bank.

Can I get a student card?

Yes. Please provide us with a recent passport-sized photograph with your name and date of birth written on the back.

Can I get a student discount on London Transport?

YES! Student Oyster cards give you a 30% discount on London Transport. You need to fill in an application form (please ask for it at the reception) and pay £10 to Transport for London (they accept credit/debit card, cheque or postal order – DO NOT SEND CASH!). Your course must be at least 14 weeks. The form must be signed, dated and stamped by WLA. Alternatively you can: Apply on-line for Oyster card.

Can I have a holiday during my studies with WLA?

If you are enrolled for 12 weeks or more you are entitled to 2 weeks of personal holiday, 24 weeks or more to 4 weeks of holiday and 36 weeks or more to 6 weeks of holiday. The school closes annually for Easter and Christmas holidays and one week at the beginning of October but is open throughout the summer. If you would like to take holidays you need to inform the receptionist about your plans - please remember that holiday dates must be taken weekly starting on a Monday and ending on a Friday. We will give you a holiday letter within forty-eight hours.

^ back to top


How much does public transport cost?

As an example, a one week Travelcard for zones 1, 2 and 3 costs 30.20 GBP.

Do I need an insurance?

It is important to insure your possessions against theft or loss. Endsleigh Insurance (View Student Insurance) is recommended by the National Union of Students.

Do I need a medical insurance?

If you are studying for more than six months you are entitled to free healthcare. If your course lasts for less than six months and your country does not participate in a reciprocal healthcare agreement then you will not be entitled to receive free treatment except in emergencies and therefore you must have a medical insurance.

How much money do I need a month?

Good question. It varies for each student but this monthly living guide should be helpful. Rent: £320. Mobile phone: £25. Travel/transport: £30. Food/housekeeping: £140. Clothes/shoes: £40. Leisure/sport: £25. Books/stationery: £40. Socialising: £120. Other expenses/luxuries: £15-£25

^ back to top


Do you provide free Internet access?

Yes. At WLA we provide free Internet access. You will find the computers upstairs but please remember to share them as they are for all to use especially during break times.

Can I borrow DVDs/books?

Yes. At WLA you can borrow DVDs or some books to take home. If you would like to borrow a book or DVD from the library please look at the list and inform the receptionist. We recommend the “Graded Readers” which are books especially written for English learners. You can choose a book suitable for your level of English (from beginners to advanced).

What other facilities can you offer?

At WLA there is free tea and coffee in the kitchen together with a kettle and mugs. Please make sure your clean your cup after use and leave the kitchen clean for others. You will find some newspapers and magazines for you upstairs but please ensure you leave them in the room for others to enjoy them after you have finished. Also we have table tennis tables and table football in our backyard.

How can I get more information?

If you have further questions please click Enquire Online for various contact options.

Contact Us Here

We are members of:

English UK Member
PFE Certificate